Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Who'da thunk it?

I've always thought of myself as a pretty practical person. I drive a Geo Prizm, for instance, and time matters to me. As an academic, I have a perception of myself as, well, practical. I'm a teacher. I don't know that I'd ever ever ever identify myself as a theory-head, as those who love theory have been called. And, yes, I know that there really is no distinction between practice and theory, especially in composition studies. Is there a difference between doing theory and adopting theory? Well yeah, I guess so. I think I like to do both.

My point, though is this: I've been told recently that my work is highly theoretical and that, perhaps, it would benefit from an anecdote or some such. An anecdote? From Amy? I'll give you an anecdote. I'll give you three. Four. Five.

Paul Auster: "The anecdote as a form of knowledge. Yes."

Oh, how I love Paul Auster. And if you, too, love Paul, check out his wife! Siri Hustvedt, What I Loved is scrumptious. Love it.

2 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Tell me a story, Amy! Tell me a story about how I'll find a great job and everything will be just fine...

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger aerobil said...

Schmoozin,
I promise it will be fine. Once upon a time, there was a fantastic woman named Susan, but all her friends called her Schmoozin because she loved people so much. And she got a wonderful job in the state of Illinois, mainly so that she could be close to her friend aerobil. And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home