Saturday, June 25, 2005

weaning

I'm going off Diet Coke, people. Well, I'm going off the three or four minimum cans I drink per day. From now on, it will be a special treat, and I'm not purchasing twelve packs anymore. Oh, the money and the bone mass I'll save.

A true addict, I used to get an icky feeling in my stomach when I was down to the last twelve pack. Many times I've gone out late at night to get a couple more, just to make myself feel better. The house was usually stocked with two kinds--regular Diet Coke and caffeine-free Diet Coke--for nighttime. I'd also recently begun buying Diet Coke with Lime. Oh, the varieties.

Canned Diet Coke is so so so much better than bottled, but in a pinch I'd buy a 20-oz. bottle from the machines at school. While I was in Spain in 1997, I ordered Coca-Cola Light. The addiction goes back at least to 1995. I tried to quit for a spell while I was writing my dissertation, but what the hell was I thinking? Quit an addiction while writing a diss? How about starting up a couple new ones? Mini peanut butter cups will probably always remind me of the diss process--that and Borders cafes.

More water water water in my system. I took the money I would've spent on Diet Coke and bought new Brita filters cuz lord knows how long I'd had that one in the pitcher.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

4 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Pellegrino with a bit of lemonade or limade is a nice (though non-caffeinated) substitute. And iced tea mixed with lemonade, too.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with it. I knocked off all caffeine four weeks ago and I have definitely noticed a difference for the better. First week to ten days was hardest by far. But it's well worth it, imho.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

Youse guys are an inspiration. I am sooo soooooo addicted, and it ain't good.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been drinking more iced tea. Real iced tea, not that instant crap. But boy do I love diet coke (with lime!) from a can. Won't drink it out of a bottle (doesn't get cold enough and it isn't fizzy).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home