Sunday, January 02, 2005

teaching anxiety

Toward the beginning of every semester since I began teaching in 1998, I've had teaching anxiety dreams. There are a few well-established themes:
  • I can't find the classroom and I'm a half-hour late and all the students will have left by the time I get there.
  • I forget the all-important stacks of handouts I'm supposed to give out on the first day: syllabi, listserv instructions, index cards, etc.
  • The students are out of control, and I have to shout to be heard (this has its origins in a 2-month study skills course I taught to fifth graders many moons ago).

Strangely enough, I had none of these teaching anxiety dreams before teaching my first semester at ISU. One would think, wouldn't one, that coming to a completely new place where I don't, in fact, know where the classrooms are, might engender even more, not less, anxiety. I guess I had a newcomers' exemption last semester.

Classes don't begin for two more weeks at ISU, and the dreams have begun. Last night's dream had me completely unprepared to teach my grad course in authorship theory. No syllabus, no plans, no assignments, no nothing for the first day of a 3-hour class.

Guess this means I should get going on that syllabus....

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I particularly enjoy the dreams in which I'm teaching students who are, in fact, people I went to grade school with, and somehow they're still in college and I'm only a bit older and it's all very confusing.

And in the can't-find-the-classroom series, I've had to:
a) ford bodies of water
b) fight cross-town traffic while driving with my feet so tangled up I can't properly brake
c) run from building to building, climbing Escher-esque staircases and riding Rube Goldberg-esque elevators

 

Post a Comment

<< Home