Thursday, February 10, 2005

I feel so grown up

I heard from Al, my ex, last night, and it was really really nice just to catch up with him. There was no hidden agenda, there was no one-upmanship, it was just two old friends catching up on things in their lives. This is the first ex-boyfriend that I've experienced this with. We genuinely care about each other. I'm happy that he's got a new girlfriend who we can talk about without feeling the least bit awkward. I told him about my date with the cop, and we got a couple good laughs out of that one.

Plus, he said the next time he's in Lexington, he'll stop by the bagel place and pick me up a few sunflower bagels and ship them to me express. YUM. Isn't that what friends are for?

A grown-up friend of mine once corrected me when I said that I had officially become a grown up on such-and-such a day because I had handled a difficult student situation quite well. She said that you never become a grown-up once and for all, that there are moments like that one and like last night when you realize that you're growing up, that you can handle yourself with dignity and respect from time to time. But that doesn't mean there won't be slippage.

Like, for instance, when I was meeting with my independent study student today. We were looking at stickergiant.com for bumperstickers on women's rights and abortion. I saw one on the "funny" page that says, "What would Scooby do?" I totally want that on my car. Scooby!

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I think that this makes you an honorary lesbian. Outsiders and newbies to lesbo-land are often amazed by the degree to which we remain friends with exes. (Okay, I only have the one, but we really are friends.)

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been searching for this sticker for you! Tobi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home