Saturday, November 17, 2007

epic? no thanks

A while back, I promised S. I'd give the Lord of the Rings movies a chance. I probably said something about promising to watch them over the summer, but well, it's almost Thanksgiving and it feels like summer. So last night I gave in. We watched about an hour and a half of the first one. I knew right away that this simply wasn't my thing, but I felt like I had to give it a chance because I knew how much S. wanted me to love it. Here's the thing. It's an epic, with big long drawn-out battle scenes and I don't like epics. They bore me to tears.

At first I felt like I should justify why I don't like epics. I don't like this whole good vs. evil thing. I really don't like the battle scenes. Really don't like them. Have I mentioned that I don't like the battle scenes? No? Cuz I don't.

For a long time S. had been saying that he can't imagine how anyone could possibly not like LOTR. And I said, I just don't. It's not right or wrong, I just don't like them.

And then he told me I'm just like his father. Heh. His dad hasn't seen Star Wars either.

In other news, I had a mighty disturbing dream last night. And I have to be vague about this in order to write about it, but I need to say that maybe it's a good thing to go your whole life not getting what you once thought you wanted. That way, you can't say that you tried it and it wasn't what you thought it'd be. That way, you can't have it only to lose it. And that way, your curiosity will never be sated because you can always wonder what if? And all of this allows you to be oh so much more dramatic than your satisfied little life in the heartland would otherwise allow.

Touche.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies--we all have our boundaries. We all deserve to have our boundaries respected by others. We all owe it to ourselves to respect our own boundaries so as not to cave in to anyone else's perceived needs to share absolutely everything. To paraphrase, spaces are necessary in togetherness.

Dreams--yeah, you sure are vague. It would help to know if you are talking about waking or sleeping dreams! The sleeping kind can sometimes leave one feeling very oppressed, but they have nothing to do with reality. As for the waking kind, I was raised with a volume of Tennyson and a sense of while there's life, there's hope even if my rational self is screaming that it cannot be.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home