Monday, November 05, 2007

weekend recap

Game night here was a lovely success. S. and I cleaned the house ALL DAY on Saturday, so by the time people came over at 7:00, everything was sparking clean. And yesterday we splurged and bought a dustbuster, which has made me immeasurably happy because now I don't have to lug out the huge vacuum everytime a dustbunny of dog hair threatens to drift away with my sanity.

We played the music version of Catchphrase, which I'm notoriously horrible at, but this time I was okay. Then we played couples Password, and S. and I kicked butt in the first round then fell apart for a while after that. For part of the night Bill and Cherlyn were there with their not-quite-one-year-old baby girl Brooklyn. She has got to be, hands down, the happiest baby on earth. She makes me want to go get pregnant. Her little rosy cheeks and her pants pulled up to her chest, Belly sniffing her butt, and Mulder licking her face--and all the while she's laughing laughing laughing. Delectable.

For the party I'd bought a package of little pumpkin and pecan tarts. I put out 12 of each for the guests, but of course there were many left. S. nearly had a breakdown when he saw me empty the platter into the trash. We're of two different mindsets. Mine (the correct one) is that if the bad food is in the house, we will eat it. We don't need to eat it. We need to cut down on the sugar. His is that it's a sin to throw away food. People are starving in other parts of the world. To which I respond: our eating them is not going to help any starving people anywhere. So, the next time your mom tells you to clean your plate because people in China are starving, a good response would be something like, yes, but people in America are obese. Heh. Not long after I threw the tarts away, I emptied the salsa dish into the trash so that neither of us would be tempted to go into the trash to rescue those cute little tarts.

Issues with food, anyone? Naaaaah.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours yesterday working on a talk for the departments Sigma Tau Delta initiation ceremony on Tuesday night. I'm the faculty speaker. For the STD initiation. Heh. Cuz that joke's never been made. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with, in part because of the two epigraphs I chose for it:

"The world is made for people who aren’t cursed with self-awareness."
-- Annie Savoy in Bull Durham

"There are too many ideas and too many people. And too many directions to go. I was starting to believe that the reason it matters to care passionately about something is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size."
--Susan Orlean’s character in Adaptation

I can give no more away.

I've got only 3 episodes left of Season 1 of Friday Night Lights, and I'm kinda sad about it. I'm getting all attached to these characters, and we didn't record the first 2 episodes from this season, though S. watched them. I've been recording Cold Case for weeks now and have yet to watch a single one. Ah well. No time.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger tyra said...

i thought the way that worked was it was a sin to throw away food when it could be left in a lounge somewhere for starving grad students!

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dustbusters are also great for sucking up moths and other slow moving insects!!!!

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home