Monday, March 07, 2005

C's paper. Status: complete

I am such a dork.

News flash: Amy needs to get a life.

My C's paper is complete one point five weeks before the dang conference begins.

It's trendy, of course, to brag that one has written one's paper on the plane or that one has stayed up all night putting the finishing touches on it.

Trendy I am not.

Besides, the effect of such boasting is a denial of the labor involved in writing. The same way that, as Linda Brodkey notes in "Writing on the Bias," students are encouraged to disown their own labor by claiming that they didn't do the homework or study for the test.

I've done my homework. I've always done my homework.

Ooh! And I'm teaching another special topics grad course next semester, and I'm thinking of going with social class in composition. Text suggestions?

4 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

There was that CE essay about time and working class and narrative by...oh, I can't remember the name...it's on the tip of my tongue...

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

Bourdieu's Distinction. I know you don't like it, but it's a great engine for thinking about the invisible operations of class hierarchies, specifically as they relate to education and literacy. And you could spare your students the pain you suffered: you could assign selections!

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy Robillard is truly an exceptional dork. and adding to her extraoridnariness, I do think she is funny.

-NO name

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Oh, and Miss A, if you are a dork for getting your homework done on time, I am truly way cool for being the world's sloooooowest writer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home