Monday, April 25, 2005

effing a

This is blogworthy, no? A town in Illinois by the name of Effingham.

Goddamn mother of a town.

I effing hate my hometown, sez the kid who grew up there.

Obscenities (also known as "swear words") must be illegal in Effingham. Otherwise, just imagine what the town might be called.

When you get right down to it, though, how much better is Chicopee, Massachusetts? Home of the world's largest kielbasa, thank you very much. Former home to the annual Kielbasa Fest. How's that for a claim to fame? Because of its large Polish population--and the same initial letters--Chicopee has more in common with Chicago than one might initially think.

More to the point, I wish I could say I knew someone in Effingham. That way I could say, one day, I'm on my way to goddamn Effingham. wink wink

3 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

I grew up in West Virginia in the 50s, before the Interstate highway system. My grandparents lived on the Cape. We went there for a couple of weeks most summer, but because of the arduous drive, it wasn't every summer. Anyhow, as we'd drive toward the Cape, we'd all giggle at the Massachusetts town names, and Chicopee was our family favorite. We thought it paired wonderfully with Mashpee. Of course, we were all too well-bred to giggle at the idea of mashing pee; instead, we pretended that "pee" meant "pea." We were a farm family, after all.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Illinois is full of strangely named towns. We have Cairo which we call Kayro like the syrup and San Juice which is actually spelled San Jose. And of course Normal.

Go figure.

Jim

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Effingham, IL. The name Effingham is English and it comes from the name of a English general or the Revolutionary War, Lord Effingham. As a kid we have always joked about the farmer that was cussing out a pig saying "you effing ham!"
I am glad you have taken interest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home