Sunday, April 10, 2005

on blogging emotions

Tonight Becky says she's noticed that I've been sad on my blog lately. I have, of course, with good reason. But this got me thinking about the public "face" we present to one another via blogs. Becky pointed out my sadness because it's not the norm, in real life or in the blogosphere. Blogs are great places to complain, to be ecstatic, to celebrate, to bitch. (Well, sometimes they're great places for that. Sometimes not so much.) But how do blogs accommodate sadness? The very immediately public nature of blogs seems to discourage the kind of sadness I've been experiencing lately, though I've written about it anyway. Is there a default emotion for blogging? Do we blog when we feel happy or confused or pissed off or content but not when we're struggling with sadness?

I dunno. What would Goffman say about the presenation of self in the blogosphere? Who do I want you to think I am?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home