Sunday, August 21, 2005

a beautifully sarcastic look at academic conferences

This article by Kay Ryan made me laugh out loud as I imagined myself in her shoes at the AWP conference. I love her crankiness and her general dislike of people. Funneeee.

Here's a brief excerpt (I had a very hard time choosing only one to post):
There is something inherently Monty Pythonish about panels. The set-up is perfect for farce: starched rigidity (topic, table, moderator, time limits, matching water goblets) combined with a thrumming undercurrent of overcivilized competition. Soon after introductions, the dramatic differences in style and talent among the panelists begin to tear the table apart. In the best panels a happy anarchy ensues, resulting in a shambles enjoyed by all.

Okay, I can't resist. One more:
We have to listen to so many dumb people; it’s such a pleasure to watch somebody’s brain working that fast. A second panel member, Cynthia Hogue, was also compelling, but not in that close-cropped-hair way I especially like. Hers was a more relaxed-haired intelligence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home