Saturday, September 10, 2005

what the hell are they teaching at Kent State?

Yesterday I was on campus to do a few errands and I picked up our daily school newspaper, the Vidette. The cover story--and most of the issue--was devoted to reporting on the rally the school held on Thursday to support hurricane relief victims. (The school raised more than $33,000 for the Red Cross.) So I'm flipping through it, skimming, and when I get to the back pages, I notice an article under the "Features" section called "Fashion fans expect darker colors to dominate at colleges." It's written by Heather Beyer at Kent State and it comes to the Vidette through the U-Wire system. I cannot fucking believe this first sentence: "Just like Hurricane Katrina clouded the skies of cities across the country last week, it looks like fashion will also become darker this fall."

My mind has officially been blown. Christ. Perfect example for my rhetoric class on unethical comparisons. We could spend an entire class on just that sentence. And we may just well do that. But even more than a teaching moment, this sentence makes me want to shake Heather Beyer and ask her what the hell they've been teaching her at Kent State. Simply deplorable.

1 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

Gack. I share your appalledness. There's an interesting piece in the Washington Post about how members of a Certain Party are similarly challenged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home