Wednesday, September 07, 2005

trauma

Yesterday in my rhetoric class, I asked students to write about the particular aspects of Katrina's aftermath that, for any reason, continue to strike them. In part, this was a lesson in understanding our own biases: why are we drawn to what we're drawn to, and how do our personal histories help us understand why we pick up on some things and not on others? And what can understanding these biases help us understand about the arguments we choose to make and those we choose to ignore? Yup, I've got the teacher voice going on here.

Anyway, I wrote along with them, and the thing that keeps coming up for me is the trauma that the victims have been through and the very long road to a "recovery" that will never be complete. I understand my reasons for being drawn to this, and because of that, I also understand that other people's trauma is not something we can ever really get (can I use the word "understand" one more time in this post, I wonder). But what pisses me off is this ubiquitous attitude that people need to just buck up and get over it.

I'm simultaneously drawn to the material and to the psychological aspects of this trauma. I know that once the media attention dwindles and the stories about people getting on with their lives start coming in, we will, as a nation, forget the psychological struggles of the people living with the traumatic memories of these days. I guess that's human nature, but it makes me sad.

My constant questions: How do people get over something like this? How do they keep going in the face of so many unanswered questions? And I constantly ask these questions because I suspect that I wouldn't be able to do it.

2 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're on to something here. I haven't been able to write about this at all, except in small response posts to specific outrages. I think it's partly because of just the things you cite here about the eventual dwindling of attention and forgetfulness of a nation (where is "we will never forget" four years later?) What does it mean to not forget the individual struggles, the lives shattered and in need of repair, and how do we stay in touch with that?

It always takes me time to come to words about such things. Maybe I can begin. Thanks for the prompt.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your question is probably the most pertinent for me... and the most likely answer is that people don't get over it. They cope, but it doesn't go away... at least, not for the victim. In addition to "we'll never forget" what about the tsunami? Are we allowed to write it off because we (as a country) didn't make such a promise? Is that our excuse?

I've posted on my own blog that I just don't know what to say. My words aren't enough; my empathy isn't enough and that is stronger than my words. I wish there was a way for each person who is suffering to collectively and nationally express what they need to share. And I wish that people would still listen to them years from now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home