Saturday, August 27, 2005

you don't look a day over 59

My mother, who will be 72 in September, has always had a slew of men at her feet (hint: this might go a long way in explaining some of the issues I have with men). She has also always been an avid dancer, going to the bars and clubs and VFWs a couple times a week. We kids have taken to calling these her "foot-stomping" nights.

I'm talking to her on the phone the other night. Here's just a snippet of the conversation.

Mom: So are you ever gonna get married?
Me: I don't know, mother. It's not as though I can decide that right now.
Mom: There's a guy up at the Chalet who likes me.
Me: Do you like him?
Mom: No, he's kind of a jerk.
Me: Okay, so that's settled.
Mom: But he dances with me all night.
Me: How old is this guy, 90?
Mom: I think he's in his late 50s. He thinks I'm in my late 50s too. If only he knew how old I really am.

She then goes on to tell me that she dances with him because there's really nobody else to dance with, but after they dance and she's taking a break, he stands by her trying to "control me all night long." The other night he asked if he could walk her to her car.

Me: What'd you say?
Mom: I told him no.

And yet, today when I talked to her, I learn that she spent all last night dancing with him, too. And she'll be back up at the Chalet tonight. My mother the tease. Leading this poor 50-year-old on.

And here's her youngest child worrying about wrinkles and gray hairs at age 32. I don't look a day over 29, do I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home