Tuesday, September 13, 2005

why I can't get enough of Steedman

"And women like this, friends, say: but it was like that for me too, my mother didn't want me. What they cannot bear, I think, is that there exists a poverty and marginality of experience to which they have no access, structures of feeling that they have not lived within (and would not want to live within: for these are the structures of deprivation). They are caught then in a terrible exclusion, an exclusion from the experience of others that measures out their own central relationship to the culture" (Landscape 17).

and

"refusal to reproduce onself is a refusal to perpetrate what one is, that is, the way one understands oneself to be in the social world" (84).

and still

"I read it with the shocked astonishment of one who had never before seen what she knows written down before" (16).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home