Thursday, September 21, 2006

words I don't like: a list

The other day in class, I used the word "interesting," and then immediately told students how much I dislike that word because, well, it doesn't actually say anything.

Student: There are a lot of words you don't like.

Me: hmmmm. That's true. I should make a list.

So here it is, in no particular order. Rhetoricians will understand why I don't like most of these.

1. interesting
2. good
3. bad
4. right
5. wrong
6. bias
7. opinion
8. lady (this one's for S.)
9. society (as in, "in today's society...")
10. objective

4 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I am willing to give up all those words except for "interesting," which I need at times, when I can't think of another more socially appropriate term. "Interesting" substitutes for "Omygodicantbelievesheswearingthat" etc.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee hee! I still remember a time in a grad class (maybe Catherine's?) when Paul gestured toward the end of the table where Mary and I were sitting and said something about "ladies" -- and I, stung by the (unintended) slur against our character -- pointed out the error of using that word to refer to us (I think I screeched, "ladies?! there aren't any *ladies* here. bwahahahahahaha).

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

The word "society" was bandied about a great deal today as I was trying to get folks to dismantle their/our use of the word "normal." I gotta take it one word at a time.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

I can't really ban the word "normal" as that's the town most of my students live in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home