Monday, January 08, 2007

who me? an evil streak?

Overheard at the park today as I'm running after Annabelle with the controller to the shock collar Nan lent me:

Someone: I think that Robillardi's* got an evil streak.

Someone else: Look how she encourages Belly to roll just so she can shock her. Evil, I tell you. Evil.

Me, hollering back at them: I'm NOT evil! I just want to teach her a lesson.

Someone: It has been a while since she's had a teachable moment.

See, Nan lent me the shock collar so that, if Belly rolled in shit--or, the sewage-like substance that seems to be seeping up from the ground in spots at the park--I could shock her, teaching her that that's WRONG. It's just so wrong because it smells so GODDAMN BAD. And it doesn't come off easily.

She rolled once, and I ran after her with the remote, but apparently the 5 setting isn't strong enough to get her to sit up and take notice. She kept rolling. But luckily, it was not in shit or sewage. Seems she musta just had an itchy back.

The rest of the time at the park I was hoping she'd roll so I could teach her. Not because I'm evil, but because I wanted to use that opportunity to prevent future stranglings.

*This is one of the things the dog park crew calls me. Somehow someone got the idea that I was Italian, so they added an "i" to the end of my name, and it stuck. The other thing they call me is "Da Docta."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're probably asking too much of the canine brain to distinguish between okay rolling and not-okay rolling based on human values of what is okay and not-okay. Dogs are drawn to feces. If you walk in cow country, you will find the dog eating the cow flops (while you discretely vomit in the background). Dogs and pigs were the sewage treatment departments in antiquity and even into 17th century Russia (hence the keeper of swine and the prodigal son's lowly position), and it is why pigs and dogs are anathema in many cultures, viz. Arabic/dogs; Jewish/pigs.

How about complaining to the authorities who run the park (not the park employees), and expressing your concern about what and where this substance is coming from and what it is? Is this a toxic dump? Then, contact the humane society if the attitude appears to be it's good enough for dogs, who cares.

Shoe

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Rebecca Moore Howard said...

You scare me. I am vewwy, vewwy afwaid. If I see you coming with a collar in your hands, I'll run like hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home