Tuesday, January 15, 2008

comfort

Horrible, horrible things I've been eating with abandon since the start of the new year and the major changes in our little canine family:

1. Doritos
2. Brach's candy hearts
3. pop tarts with one serving of whole grain. I shit you not. I actually let myself believe that this somehow makes it okay (not really). Plus, they were on sale for a buck.
4. pizza

Belly's method for comforting herself over the loss of Scully and Mulder and/or the arrival of Wrigley is to spend some quiet time in the crate. Gotta wonder what she's thinking when we shut Wrigley in the crate when we leave for work.

It's amazing to me how much words can be a comfort. S. and I have received so many loving cards and messages and it really helps. It helps to know others understand how hard this all is.

Little Miss Wiggly Wrigley has been a big help, but I can't help but wonder if having her here is getting in the way of mourning. I guess the best answer to that is the very fact that I'm aware that that's a possiblity and to let myself miss the short ones. There is now nobody in the house I can call "short stuff." I'm so used to saying it that I called Wrigley that the other day.

Slowly. It all happened so fast, and now we deal with it slowly.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you're saying about grieving. It does somehow seem as if by replacing a beloved pet one can instantaneously get over it. Perhaps the lesson to be learned about pet grief versus grief over humans is that life does go on and we can be happy again, hard as it is to come to grips with reality.

About pizza--I buy whole wheat gourmet crusts (2 to a package), spread the crust with Classico Tomato and Basil spaghetti sauce, then combine in a frying pan onions, garlic, Japanese eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, red pepper, asparagus, one baggie of Boca ground "meat" crumbles and whatever else is around plus some salt and pepper and "the magic ingredient," a teaspoon of liquid hickory smoke, cook it all up and then spread that on top of the unbaked crust, add some fake cheese or sometimes a soupcon of gorgonzola as a condiment, and bake per instructions for 8-10 minutes.

Yummers (as you would say)!

shoe

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Loving is part of mourning, so sharing that love with a new pet can only aid the mourning. (And no, I have no plans to get another dog after Maddie--I'll just keep borrowing!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home