Thursday, January 03, 2008

Scully 1996-2008

Our little Scully girl is no longer with us. The cancer was in her liver as well as her spleen, and if we'd woken her up from surgery, she'd have had no more than a few weeks with us.

She was S.'s baby doll, his favorite girl, his best dog ever. She had always had an old soul but she knew how to romp around and have fun. Her heart was so kind, so big, so full of love. She was an excellent strategist, and more than once we called on her to help plan search parties for that pesky little sister of hers, Annabelle Blue.

She loved watching the Cubbies with Daddy (and, more recently, with Mommy). She loved college football, too, but where Daddy rooted for the Tennessee Vols, her heart was with the Florida Gators. (We think this is because she really really wanted to get the job as Tennessee's mascot, but Smokey got it.)

She used George Bush for a pillow a few times, but once she learned more about his politics, she stuffed him under the couch. Her breath at the end could make you see through time, and her farts could clear a room in 5 seconds flat. She loved Elvis, hated the car, hated the vet's office even more.

She'd been tied to the door of the shelter in 1999, and the vet estimated her age as between 2 and 4, so they split the difference and called her 3. She had almost nine years of adoration from S., and she gave him almost nine years of joy.

She's now at the big buffet in the sky, chasing bunnies and squirrels, playing with Kylie and McFly. She'll live on in our hearts forever.
We love you Scullybugs. Short Stuff. Butthead. Stinkbomb. Baby Doll.
Fat Scully. There'll never be another you.

7 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Jonathan Benda said...

You, S., and Belly are in our thoughts in this tough time, Amy.

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest in peace, Scully. May you be at peace, S., Amy, Belly, and Mulder.

Paul

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Nels P. Highberg said...

You know we're thinking of you.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Rebecca Moore Howard said...

Rest in peace, beloved doggie. Hugs to aerobil and S.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, commitment, patience, joy--they teach us so much. She will be remembered.

shoe

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Mike @ Vitia said...

I'm sorry. That's rough. Take care.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts & prayers during this time. I'm still in denial about Scully's passing, & probably will be for awhile. Scully had been my best friend since the day I got her from the pound, back in February of 1999. Living by myself for most of that time, I got used to talking with her about everything. She would always look like she knew exactly what I was saying.

You may remember that we had to put another dog to sleep back in May of 07. Kylie & Scully were great friends as well, & I think that Scully was depressed about her being gone, & never really recovered. She constantly followed me around the house, which of course I enjoyed, but it almost seemed like she NEEDED to be near me more than wanting to be near me. I talked to her about Kylie a lot, & this week I talked to her about what was happening with her own life. I told her to tell Kylie that we love her when she sees her again.

On Thursday night, we went to pick up the pictures we took before taking Scully to the vet. I saw a stuffed dog that didn't look like Scully in the face, but had the same body shape. I put one of Scully's collars around the dog's neck, & today transferred one of Scully's tags to that collar. That way, I'll have that stuffed dog to remind me of my best friend forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home