Monday, December 10, 2007

the ice storm

It's magnificent. It's monstrous. It's dramatic and, yes, it has been deadly. Ice storm 2007.

On Saturday S. and I were at the grocery store and he was gonna pick up a couple more jugs of ice melt, but they were kinda pricey, so we decided to wait. Big mistake. This morning he got up early early and went to a couple stores before work. None. A rumor that one of the other grocery stores has some left. I go on my way into school. There are literally nine 10-pound bags left in the store--left in the two cities, that is. I bought two and felt like a selfish pig.

At about 4:45 this afternoon, while in my office collecting final papers, I happen to be online looking at the local newspaper's site and I see that the town of Normal has donated 6 tons of salt. They've dropped it at the Home Depot and people can bring their buckets and load up. I call S., who's already home from work.

Me: What're you doing?

He: Nothing. Having some alone time.

Me: There's free salt at the Home Depot. You just gotta bring your own bucket.

He: Can't you go on the way home?

Me: I don't have a bucket.

He whines.

Me: You've been home for an hour. That's plenty of alone time. Plus I don't have a bucket.

He whines some more.

Me: I've got to stop at Target on the way home to get tampons, so I'll be a while.

He: You could buy a bucket at Target.

I only wish I had said this, but I didn't think of it until after, but this is my blog, so I'll write it anyway: Buy a bucket to get the free salt?

He finally agrees to go. I stay at school till a little after 5, make my way to Target, pick out a few things in addition to the tampons, and am standing in line when I hear people talking about how all the salt at the Home Depot is already gone. 6 tons is already gone.

I call him once I get in the car. He's home already. His alone time was interrupted so that he could grab a bucket and go circle the Home Depot parking lot like an idiot.

Good thing I didn't buy a bucket. I'm just sayin'.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your local newspaper's account, I can't help asking: Didn't you-all know that you need to stock up salt for winter and that December is winter? I mean, I live in Florida. I have a closet full of emergency supplies everything from a butane cooker to wag bags. You-all seem to make Florida the butt of national jokes, but what's this I am now hearing about salt and the Midwest? Duh!

shoe

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

Well, we'd just had an ice storm the weekend before and trust me, S. likes to stock up on things. But we were running low. As for the rest of the midwest, I cannot say. But our local paper ain't run by the brightest people in town.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home Depot probably makes more money off of poinsettias than salt!

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home