Thursday, January 27, 2005

doggie boredom

This one's not about Annabelle....

I have an obsession with boredom. I hate it. When I'm bored, everything in my life slides down a very slippery slope. I start to feel sorry for myself. I bake cookies for no reason. I imagine myself 80 years old, alone, dying with a house full of cats that the SPCA has to come and rescue. When it's really really really g.d. cold out, I worry about Annabelle being bored, so I take her for lots of walks with her coat and booties on.

In the hills of western Massachusetts, today, it will be negative 10 degrees. Hillary lives there with her husband, two WONDERFUL children, Sid the monster cat, and Bonnie and Clyde, three-year-old Springer Spaniel/lab/and-something-else mutts. Hillary's house is really out in the middle of nowhere, so the plows are slow to clean up the three or four feet of snow they've got on the ground. Walks aren't really all that attractive. And it's just too damn cold for Bonnie and Clyde to stay outside and play for more than three minutes.

Yesterday morning, I'm on the phone with Hillary.
Hillary: I think Bonnie's losing it.
Me: What's she doing?
Hillary: Staring at the wall. She's been staring at the wall for a good fifteen minutes now.

O.M.G. Cats stare at walls, yes?

Poor poor Bonnie girl.

3 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Rupert is also going crazy. He stares out the patio door, willing it to warm up. He stands in the hallway and cries about having to use the litter box instead of the outdoors, which he much prefers. He sits in the front window and considers the birds at the feeder, his shoulders dropped in apathy.

Then, he attacks Harley to try to liven things up.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, it's so cold here that the *inside* of my back door is coated in ice. I can't even open it because it's frozen shut.

Bleh.

Heather S.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Jonathan Benda said...

It's cold here, too... 61 degrees... sorry, couldn't help rubbing it in... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home