Monday, May 09, 2005

a survey on adulthood

Heather's comment on yesterday's post had made me wonder how others define "adulthood." Lots of people define the moment of adulthood as buying a house. For others, it's having children. Since I'm not about to do either of those things for a number of years, and I'd like to think of myself as an adult, I guess I have to define it myself before I ask others to, eh?

Eh.

An adult is responsible, has definite opinions on everything, can defend those opinions against attack, is confident in her purpose in the world, and has enough left over to give to others. An adult knows how to manage money, choose good wine, and order steak in a restaurant. An adult doesn't have Cap'n Crunch for dinner. An adult eats her veggies. An adult contributes to charities and itemizes deductions on tax returns. An adult doesn't need other people to make her feel complete.

I make no claims about my definition's accuracy or even health.

Okay, your turn.

6 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

We found out at a party the other evening that other folks (friends of friends) refer to us as "The Chicks." Even though we're of the same age or older. Clearly the lack of children gives us the appearance of youth.

We ascribe it to uninterrupted sleep.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

An adult is a person who spends THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH HER TREASURED DIRECTOR! Can't wait! But believe me, you're going to blow any claim you might have to adulthood, since we'll spend the afternoon at Gilligan's, eating like children.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

french fries and ice cream, yay!

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adults eat Cap'n Crunch for dinner -- they just feel guilty for doing it.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, aerobil. According to your definition, I'm soooo far from adulthood. In fact, each stipulation I have violated at least ONCE in the last week. I fed my kids cereal for dinner last Sunday night. It wasn't Cap'n Crunch, but you know. I have no firm opinions, I cannot argue or defend said lack of opinions, I can't manage money. I'm NOT confident in my purpose here, don't know about wine, or itemize (or do my own taxes, even).

I do eat veggies, and do contribute to charity (but not monetarily--only in the form of giving stuff to the Rescue Mission and Goodwill).

I am an adult because I'm OLD. Adults are simply old kids. :)

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait.

Just now am getting the irony of your post (as I read back).

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home