Monday, May 02, 2005

bittersweet end

I'm so sad that my authorship course is over. We had our last class meeting tonight, and everyone read from drafts of their final papers. As they read, I felt as though I might cry. Really. I was so damn proud of the work they've done this semester. Smart, smart stuff that matters to them and to composition/authorship studies. I've written in other media about writing teachers' tendencies to take credit for the work their students have done, and I guess I'd never thought about it in terms of graduate teaching. Well, duh, that's because I hadn't taught grad courses before. But it's different. It's not as though I write about their work here because I want to somehow take some pedagogical credit for what they've done but to acknowledge how much I've learned from the work we've done together.

I just felt this enormous pride that I had a part in the work these smart people are doing. Pride's physical reaction: not sure how to describe it except to say I wanted to cry at the same time I wanted to jump up and down and hug them. Don't worry, I didn't.

Many of them proposed papers for the Michigan conference, so I'm hoping they'll get in. How could they not?

Then we all went to dinner at a Mexican place in town. Yum. Great margaritas.

Now what am I gonna do with my Monday nights?

5 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

"Now what am I gonna do with my Monday nights?"
Patrick Swayze movies. Bon-bons. French novels. Flower arrangement. Crocheting. Cartooning. Weight-lifting. Blogging. Scrabble. Dog grooming. Origami. Haiku.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

Oh, I just can't BEAR Patrick Swayze. Flower arrangement, maybe, combined with dog grooming. Belly with flowers in her hair!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Haiku for Belly:

Scratching of the ear
Is a delightful way to
Spend one's afternoon.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

Not being able to bear Swayze is what makes his movies so much fun. They are soooo serious and soooo hilarious. Next of Kin: fabulously repulsive. Road House: a total hoot. The man has his moments—approximately one per every six movies—and the rest is deliciously unintentional trash.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Patrick, muscled man
Dancer he, extraordinaire
Movies--trash, but fun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home