Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Shakespeare at moonlight

Last night I went to the Illinois Shakespeare Festival for the first time. We saw MacBeth, and in a couple weeks I'll go again for Twelfth Night. Henry VIII is also playing this summer, but I don't think I'll have the patience to sit through it. Last night's weather was perfect, warm with a slight breeze, and the almost-full moon shone brightly down on us. There were a couple points in the play when my ability to translate Shakespeare was tested, but I did appreciate many of the bard's more clever lines. The best part of last night's performance was the three witches' "double, double, toil and trouble" scene. The visual effects were fun.

All in all, a good way to spend a midsummer's night.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Sounds like a fab time! Twelfth Night is a personal fave of mine--crossing-dressing and same-sex desire and all that. I'm not a fan of the history plays, either. I once fell asleep during Richard II--put on by my own theatre department! Tres embarrassing...

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

Ditto. I adore Twelfth Night. You have to be sure to blog about how much they suppress (or not) the gender and sexuality issues in that play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home