Tuesday, February 14, 2006

stupid valentine's day

I'm not bitter. Really I'm not.

When I was in my 20's, I would announce that if I were single with no prospects at 30, I'd shoot myself.

Good jesus.

This morning in the Advanced Exposition class, I had students write about their shortcomings--happy valentine's day--in order to get them to think about what it means to implicate themselves in their writing. Here's me implicating myself.

It's easier to call it stupid than it is to admit that I'd really like to go out for a fancy dinner tonight and there's nobody to take me. I've forgotten what it's like to be part of a pair, and that makes me sad.

1 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Just because you're disappointed with an aspect of your life, doesn't make you bitter. That's one of those words--like "strident" and "spinster"--used to label single women who may not feel all Helen-Gurley-Brownish about their relationship status. (statuses?)

So there. Sometimes I wish I were fabulously single and living it up. Sometimes couplehood ain't all it's cracked up to be. And then, sometimes it is. So give Belly some snuggles tonight and watch something really silly on tv. What better way to spend VD in the Year of the Dog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home