Sunday, February 25, 2007

good lord, I just found my mother in my handwriting

I'm responding to student work today and it just occurred to me as I was reading back over a comment that my handwriting is my mother's.

The other big thing I share with my mother: a repulsion toward clutter. I can't bear it. I can't stand it. It makes me depressed and I find myself asking S., when he's about to buy something, where he's going to put it. That is my mother speaking and as much as I dislike the idea of being a nag about the very same thing she was a nag about, I think it's preferable to being surrounded by piles of crap.

Car sickness.

Deep compassion for animals.

In these ways I am my mother.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being like one's mother, best friend, the neighbor. Everyone has good qualities that are worth emulating. If as a thinking human being you choose their values as your own, more power to you. You certainly don't need to apologize or fear being suffocated by Mommie Dearest. You're you. And S. will probably tell you one day that you do things exactly like his mother! That's part of being a female.

Shoe

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy didn't mention that anytime I buy something, she always wants me to throw something out. I'm on the other end of the specturm, as I like to accumulate things.

For example, if I see a new tool at Lowe's or Home Depot, I don't buy just one. I buy two, because two is better than one. However, I make sure that I don't use either of them, because if I do, I might break it, and then I would only have one.

S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home