Tuesday, February 13, 2007

my new teaching philosophy

PUSH. PUSH. PUSH. PUSH until you get them where you think you want them to be, then sit back and reap the rewards.

To what am I referring, you wonder?

The book--usually referred to as "the alleged book"--I'm working on with graduate students from the course a year and a half ago on social class in comp. It's a collection of 8 essays on the violence of class, and for a while there, I'd been kind of blase about the whole thing because, well, it was a bit like pulling teeth. But most of them gave me revisions recently, and I used my snow day to read through them and I. was. so. happy. Reenergized about the project, convinced it'll work, and excited to get moving on it again.

All that pushing was about getting students to see themselves as implicated (and by extension their readers) in classism in ways that went beyond cliche and surface understandings. Middle-class and working-class alike, they've done it.

And now my teaching philosophy can take up only one line. Saves a lotta paper that way.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Last night I used the first two pages of your first Brilliant CE article in my 105. I thought it was a good counterpoint to a boring brief lesson on what is meant by "first person," "2nd person," etc. So we talked about why the personal narrative worked (clearly we weren't delving into the larger point you were making), when it might be useful, when it might not be useful... We'll look at that opening again later to talk about the Joy of Epigraphs. Someday you're gonna be one of those widely anthologized Authors we like to poke fun at... ;)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

I LOVE epigraphs, as anything I've ever written will demonstrate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home