Thursday, September 27, 2007

the Cubs are gonna give me a stroke

It's not at all that I want the Cubs to just go ahead and lose so that I can stop worrying about them. I want them to win, I want them to get to the playoffs, I want them to make it to the World Series.

But I'd also like a rest from this anxiety.

I'd like to begin reading at night again.

I'd like to stop planning my evening Annabelle walks around the Cubs schedule.

Who am I kidding? I don't really want to stop planning my evening walks around their schedule. But I do feel like I've forgotten the pleasure of reading each night. Today they're on at 3:05, so by 6 I'll have the evening free.

I'm a nervous wreck. I don't like this 2-game lead. I don't like Milwaukee. I was actually rooting for the Cardinals last night. Holy macaroni.

For the record, I now have one more thing to talk with students about. I'm learning to do the baseball talk thing. I can officially participate in male bonding rituals.

S. keeps telling me that I'm not a true Cub fan until they've broken my heart. Does a stroke count?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But they will make you a better teacher, if only because you will know there are other pleasures in life aside from teaching. As a result, you will be a little less arrogant and supercilious when you view your students (not that you necessarily are or were). You will understand that there are other fantasy worlds aside from academia.

shoe

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Didn't I *tell* you that sports metaphors are great?! Plus now you can put cubbie's stuff into academic-speak just to show students how it works: "A good many Yankees fans think that they will win the series, but that overlooks the sheer willpower of Cubs fans, which is why I argue that they will not only win the series but establish World Peace." Am I good, or what?

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

S. is correct. Lots of heartbreak for true fans. My Red Sox are doing the same thing to me. They even have an effect on the assignments I'm giving this week.

Not to worry I think your Cubbies will make it this year. Sadly, they won't win the Worls Series, nor will the Red Sox.

Sigh. You'll get to the point where you'll savor the heartbreak.

jim

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, honey, but a stroke doesn't count the same as heartbreak for the Cubs. They take years off our lives every week, but you have to give in & be sure that they're going to win it all & then have your heart torn out to be welcomed into the club. You want examples?:

1945 (when the curse started-thank you Philip Wrigley. Siantis cursed the Cubs & said they would never GET to the World Series again, much less win it)

1969 A black cat in Shea stadium runs in front of Ron Santo while he was on deck. At the time, the Cubs had a huge August lead, but, of course imploded & the Miracle Mets went on to win it all

1984 Games 1 & 2 in Chicago were victories, & they only needed to win 1 out of 3 in San Diego. Steve Garvey, Leon Durham's Gatorade Glove.

2003 I'm still in total denial of this one. Okay, it started with the infamous "Bartman Ball", but that didn't have any real bearing on the game except that the Cubs fell apart emotionally & Dusty didn't bother to come out to the mound until it was too late. A-Gon's botched play on a grounder that would have gotten them out of it was much more the key play.
5 FREAKING OUTS AWAY!!!!!!

I didn't mention 89, 98, or several other times they were in contention & didn't make it because it's too heart wrenching.

S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home