Sunday, September 16, 2007

ketchin' up

One thing about the blog I have to say: it does seem to be a nag when I've gotten back from a trip and don't really want to recount the entire thing. I feel like I can't move on to blog about other stuff until I've finished this. So, because I can form no narrative of the trip (mainly out of laziness), I offer this list.

1. The 9 1/2 hour flight from ATLANTA. Yes, we flew from Bloomington to Atlanta, only to double back so that we could be on the plane for 9 1/2 straight hours. This made it easier to torture us with films like Georgia Rule and Fabulous Four. Pain, I tell you. Pain.

2. The limo ride to the hotel that came as a result of waiting in line for no less than an HOUR for a cab. When it was our turn to get one, it just so happened that the next one to show was a limo. we shared it with two guys going to the same place, and I stretched out and watched the drive from my back.

3. The way I fell into complete despair after having been up for TOO MANY HOURS in a row. When we got to the hotel, it was approximately 3 am our time. I'm no good past midnight. NO. GOOD.

4. Am I just going to complain about this trip? No.

5. The beach. The glorious sea. It was fantastic. My favorite day was spent sitting by the water with fruity drinks in front of us as we watched the sea turtles swim-swim-swimmin'. I shrieked every time they popped their cute little heads up. Impossible to take any pictures.

6. The trip to Pearl Harbor was moving. Here's my favorite pic taken from inside the USS Arizona memorial:



7. The hike up Diamond Head was exhausting but rewarding. Felt good to have made that climb in the middle of such a hot, sunny day. And the views were incredible.



8. S.'s CPCU conferment ceremony. I was so proud of him. And the food was fantastic, the drinks were free.

9. Speaking of food. Holy fresh pineapples, batman. Oh my god I love them. We even made up a song about pineapples when we bought a box to take home with us. It goes something like this: Pineapples, pineapples. We love the pineapples.

10. The pathetic little beach umbrella we purchased for $15 because we couldn't, on principle, pay $40 to rent one for ONE DAY. It didn't give us very much shade, and we barely used it, but we still felt like we made out better that way. I wish I had a picture of us squeezing together under the umbrella, trying to keep important parts of us from the sun.

11. The aborted attempt to eat dinner on our last night at Ruth's Chris steakhouse. We thought there was a special for a $39.95 three-course dinner, so we made reservations, only to get there at 8:30 to realize that the special was from 5-6 each night. We took one look at the menu and, even though the Big Corporation was going to reimburse us for the meal, I could not, on principle, pay $41 for a steak that didn't even come with a vegetable. The side of broccoli, folks, was $8. Um, no.

12. Missing my girl like crazy. So so good to be home. Time to get myself into some kind of routine. Lots of reading to do for my classes today. Cubbies are on at 1. Don't know if I'll be able to watch them. But oh how I love them so.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have just confirmed once again why I no longer fly anywhere. The last time I flew from Florida to Chicago with tickets for the Shakespeare rep, I fell asleep through the performance. Too many hours on the road.

You also just confirmed once again how beautiful the islands are, despite the horrific prices--everything has to make the trip across the Pacific, including your no-thank-you steaks and broccoli!

When in Rome? Poi?

After the pain of the passage recedes, I'm sure that the experience will remain as a red-letter event in your lives (sort of like childbirth, so I'm told).

Glad you-all got back safely.

shoe

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Elmo has a song about a pineapple, too! Puh-puh-puh-puh-pineapple!! Glad you had lots of fun...the turtles sound fab...

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked several people while we were in Hawaii where we could get some Poi, but couldn't find it anywhere. We need to put a picture of my Don Ho ceramic statue up. It is now my pride & joy, along with the hollowed-out coconut that I had a drink in (the top of the coconut is even attached to it to make a cover).

I wish we had brought our camera to the restuarant by the pool (The Sand Bar) the last day to take pictures of the turtles, but going to The Sand Bar was an impulse thing because I was so tired of the rocks making up the beach floor & kept whining until we left. Plus, we didn't know we were going to see the sea turtles. It really was amazing

We also need to load a picture of "Sharka".

Amy should also blog about the "fake" International Market we ran into before finding the real one.

S.

PS: God is ALWAYS capitalized.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home