Thursday, August 30, 2007

the end of an automotive era

This will likely be one of several posts about the current car crisis in my life. S. noticed last night that Alcatraz was leaking gas, so I called the mechanic to get him in this morning. Asked them to check the gas tank and to also take a look at the clutch, which S. has been saying needs adjusting. Well, it needs a little more than adjusting. It's the hydraulic system, whatever that means. Translation: gas tank, for which they don't even make parts anymore: $550. Fixing the clutch: $700 something. Total amount to sink into a 1995 car with 179,000 miles: more than $1200. Ack.

So it looks like I'll be saying goodbye to Alcatraz Prizm sometime in the next couple weeks. Hoping I can take advantage of some major Labor Day deals or some such. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the entire process. There's too much to research, too many ways I can get ripped off. Moan. Groan. Whine.

I've had Alcatraz since 1996, and I bought him when I was working at Better Communications as an Executive Assistant making $27,000 a year. I'd had to get rid of my little Mitsubishi Precis because it was a piece of shit, and I decided to go all out and get a new car. I paid $10,400 brand new and it's given me 11 and a half years of reliable service.

I'm feeling a bit like I might have to have a memorial service for this car. It's seen me through SO MUCH of my life.

On this, more to come...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

So sorry to hear of your vehicle's lingering illness. If it helps at all, I've been eyeing the Honda Fit...but, of course, I really want a Prius. No, I really really want a Toyota pickup, but that ain't gonna happen. (M & B got a spiffy new Nissan this summer, too...)

The Roo is making more and more annoying noises, including a clunk when starting and accelerating, which suggests to me a bad engine mount. But what do I know--I just listen to too much Car Talk.

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate all the foo haw that goes with buying a new car! Good luck. On the bright side, thousands of people get through the process every year. You'll do fine.

!79,000 is an impressive amount of miles. Alcatraz deserves some kind of special salute.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger mryonker said...

May I recommend the Nissan VERSA?? Such a great little car. Good on gas, and if you get the 4-door hatchback, all the seats go down for great doggie transport and whatnot.

We LURVE ours. I am a Versa Evangelist. New they only go for about 14K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home