Tuesday, August 21, 2007

now, what was I working on?

I'll always look back fondly on the afternoon in mid-summer when I decided I needed something physical to do, a project of some sort, so I decided to tackle the hallway bathroom at S.'s place. It was wallpapered and so it took the most energy of all the rooms we painted. One room led to another, and now the entire upstairs with the exception of the master bedroom and the kitchen have been repainted. Here's the list, so that I can feel a sense of accomplishment:

1. hallway bathroom painted red, new fixtures, new mirror, towel racks, etc.
2. living room painted "old mill blue"--a bluish purpley color
3. master bath painted "flatland," a mocha-ish color, new medicine cabinet, towel racks, etc.
4. hallway painted yellow, or more precisely, "willow's gold"
5. second bedroom (now the guest room) painted yellow
6. third bedroom (now my office) painted a blue-grey
7. dining room given a new coat of white paint
8. foyer painted "English ivy" green
9. And the biggest improvement of all: piss-stained carpet torn up, rolled up, and (I wish) burned up in favor of laminate flooring.

I'm planning to post pics soon--they're on a different computer, so it'll take some conscious effort on my part, but I promise they'll be here soon.

So, back to the question in this post's title. After all this home improvement, all these "projects," I seem to have forgotten what it's like to work on scholarship. And I kinda miss it. The Wonka and I are going to set up regular weekly working meetings at the coffeehouse so we can be sure to get stuff done and have some fun doing it. I'm at the point in my life when I actually have to think about "balancing" things; shee-it. Before, there was nothing to balance. Well, there was, but it wasn't quite so obvious.

current obsessions: the Protestant work ethic; our feelings about the work ethic; the grad course on intellectual property I'll be teaching next semester....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home