Thursday, July 26, 2007

once again, she's off

Whew.

Off to Chicago again, this time alone, to visit my dear old friend Keita, who's been in Chicago for the last week for a conference. We'll spend the night tonight and the day tomorrow and then come back down here so that Keita can meet and visit with S. On Saturday we'll go to a bbq at the Wonka's house and then to a Peoria Chiefs game and then Sunday morning, Jesus H., we'll LEAVE. THE HOUSE. AT. 5:30 A.M. in order to get her on her 8:40 am flight. Lordie pie.

Yesterday it took me two hours to write four sentences of my research statement for an award nomination from my department. Two hours for four sentences. Do the math. I'm gonna work on it some more this morning, and I think the hard part is done--four sentences that characterize my research agenda for people outside the field. This is my favorite: "Central to my scholarly project, then, are the rhetorical implications of teaching and writing as social practice." Or something like that.

I've started moving boxes of books over to S.'s place--and I'll have to get used to calling it our place. Belly already has a shiny new bone-shaped tag with her new address on it, and I've called all the utility companies. Things are a-moving. I'm a-moving.

And the week after next, Hillary comes for five days to help us put in new floors. Moving. Visiting with old friends. Getting ready to start school again. Wondering how I'll find time to watch the Cubbies when I'm in school again.

Go Cubbies!

This is my life. Life, it's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home