Monday, August 27, 2007

fall writing schedule

If I write it on the blog, it becomes law. If I write it on the blog, I'm somehow more accountable than if I were to write it only in my calendar.

Monday 2-5

Wednesday 9-12 OR 2-5, depending on the week (grad committee meetings sometimes get in the way of the morning)

Friday 9-12

INVIOLABLE. Must get book written. Must prove to myself that I'm capable of getting a book written. It's not that I don't have enough to say. I've got PLENTY to say. I'm more and more persuaded that good writing is 90% good organization. I've got so much to say and I'm just not sure where to put it all. Categories. Chapters. Claims leading into one another, building on each other. This, I remember, was also the hardest part of the dissertation.

And the other thing I have to resist: the temptation to simply turn one of these chapters into an article so I can get relatively immediate gratification.

I'm officially at that point in my career when there are TOO MANY things I want to do. Will I have enough time to do them all? I'm so excited about literary forgery and what it can teach us about writing. I'm fascinated still with Mark Hofmann. I want to write about the personal essay and representations of trauma. But first, the book. The book the book the book.

At times like these I'm so grateful for my classed attention to promptness, that fear of tardiness that translates so often into a nice strong work ethic. Cuz, well, it's easy to get overwhelmed.

If I force myself to attend to these things at least 9 hours a week during my 3 semester, things should be moving along.

Stay tuned.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! Set the time aside and then just do it!

I think I will take a leaf out of your book. I have some things I need to accomplish, but I keep getting sidetracked with other agendas.

Instead of constantly thinking about what I want to do, I, too, shall designate the time to get to work and just do it!

By the way, love all the work you did over the summer. Looks great. Well done.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home