Monday, June 09, 2008

I'm still here

Remember the days when my going more than two days without blogging made me nervous? Like I had so much to report that I'd never get through it?

Them's were the days.

Now I go almost two weeks and I still wonder if I have anything to say.

Perhaps I've become more of an internal processer. I process things before I get a chance to sit and blog them, so by the time I have a chance to blog, there's nothing left to say.

My blog for the year 2008 will probably be summarized as: I'm still here. Not dead yet.

I completely missed the anniversary of my adopting Annabelle on May 30. Six years. But that was because S. and I were on our way to North Carolina for his dad's memorial service. S. gave a beautiful eulogy, lots of people got up and talked about what a terrific person Gerry was, and the service ended with Gerry & Janet's 14-year-old grandson singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Not a dry eye in the house. I was tempted to get up there and say something because I really did love S.'s dad and I actually feel sad to have only known him for a year and a half. But I knew I wouldn't be able to be even mildly coherent.

I've been watching the Cubs faithfully and boy, that takes up a lot of time. So I haven't been reading much, but on the drive back to Illinois, S. and I listened to the audio version of David Sheff's Beautiful Boy about his son's meth addiction. Fascinating stuff. It just blows my mind the stuff that meth'll do to a person, and I want to know more. I can see that easily becoming a mild obsession...I've already ordered a copy of Nic Sheff's Tweak.

S. and I installed a vinyl tile floor this weekend, with grout and everything. It looks fantastic. We're gonna do it in the kitchen, too, but we wanted to try a small space first: basement hallway, where if it turned out badly, nobody'd really notice.

And I'm writing. Some days it's torture, but I'm somehow getting through it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

just post a picture or a bad joke from time to time, so i can get my amy fix

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger kayakotto said...

I found a good website at www.methamphetamineaddiction.com with lots of good data of meth abuse for you if you are interested.

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back safe and sound after what must have been a bittersweet trip.

shoe

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Nels P. Highberg said...

I'm reading D. Sheff right now (it's next to the keyboard as I type). I will be reading N. Sheff next. I'm teaching both in the fall in my pain seminar. Half the class will read one, and half will read the other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home