Wednesday, May 28, 2008

stops and starts

Tomorrow afternoon, once S. gets home from work, we take off once again for North Carolina. This time we're driving. Flying has just become too much of a nightmare. Though driving all the way to NC comes with its own brand of stress, at least we control the stress. And we get to stop to pee whenever we like.

S. and I have never taken a road trip of this length together. We've driven to Chicago and back many times, but this summer we're doing this trip and then we're driving to Massachusetts at the end of July. In my cute little Honda Civic. It's cute, but it's not exactly roomy.

In other unrelated news, we watched Rendition the other night. A few weeks ago, I updated my Facebook status with something like "Amy and S. watched The Savages last night and she dares anyone to name a more depressing movie." Well, folks, I found one. It's called Rendition. Slit-your-wrists depressing.

I'm not so good at watching movies without pausing 100 times. The pause button and the DVR were made for me. I guess I'm a little bit ADD. After I'd paused it four times during the first twenty minutes of Rendition, S. was getting really frustrated with me. At one point, I was saying something over the movie and he couldn't hear, so I paused it. He looks at me: what? Me: I paused it because you couldn't hear what I was saying. He: No, I couldn't hear the movie.

Then last night we took the girls out for their evening walk. Fifty feet from the house, I had to hand Annabelle over to S. because I'd tied my shoe too tight. I tied it, took her back, and realized once again that it was still too tight. So I stopped to tie it again and he went ahead with the girls. He: We haven't made it a block and you've stopped twice. It's like watching a movie with you.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I think those are two items that should be on the "are you compatible?" list: movie-viewing habits and car-trip behavior. Some questions to be considered:
1. Do you talk during the movie and then ask me what happened while you were talking?
2. Do you ask me more than 3 times during any given movie what just happened or what did that person say?
3. Do you have unwritten car trip rules, such as "passenger feeds fries to driver" or "driver gets first dibs on cup holder"?
4. Do you sing along loudly with songs on the radio, or do you glare at the slightly off-key singer?

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all I have spent 49 years of my life in the matrimonial state of bliss.

I finally learned that it is not acceptable to interrupt during the part of the program that does not interest me personally.

The other person may find the weather or the sports as compelling as I personally find the headlines.

I am still trying to muzzle myself and hang on to that brilliant comment for the commercial which is when I hit the mute button!

But it ain't easy!

I have to remind myself that the spouse is really being exceedingly accommodating by listening to my rants on mythology at 5:00 a.m. before coffee, gracing me with five minutes of attention, and then disappearing behind the sports page!

I imagine he says the same thing: it ain't easy!

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home