Friday, December 19, 2008

ice storm 2008

The frozen birdfeeder with perfectly formed icicles. This is what those lights are going for at Christmastime, the ones that hang from the roofs of houses. Poor birds. Guess their lunch is gonna be a bit soggy.

Yesterday afternoon, about 5, Hillary calls me and says, "The old lady in me wants to know about your weather."

I say, "The old lady in me wants to know where the hell this damn killer ice storm is. It was supposed to be here at 3. We canceled plans for tonight, and it's not here yet. I'm waiting...."

I love love love dramatic weather. I was so hoping S. wouldn't have to go to work today, but he did. I made him call me when he got there, then I promptly went back to sleep. The girls and I just took a walk around the block and it's not so bad. Kinda pretty, actually. Except when we walked under a tree dripping from the weight of its icicles. We all got a wee bit wet.

Yesterday after I used my new Kitchen Aid mixer for the first time, I called my friend M. and said, "I see the world differently now." Damn, that thing is awesome. Makes me want to make stuff all day long. Except then I'll weigh 400 pounds and we all know that ain't good. So give it away! Pound cake, anyone?

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Roman poet Martial reminds us to beware of walking beneath melting icicles. ". . . on a boy's throat, as he passed under that dewy roof, fell water weighted with winter frost; and when it had wrought the unhappy victim's cruel death, the frail dagger melted on the warm gash."

It's not just about getting wet by walking under trees dripping with melting icicles; it's the sudden plunge to earth that can pierce your head like steel.

Walk down the middle of the road with your girls.

shoe

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! pound cake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home