Thursday, December 04, 2008

MOFO roofers

We finally have a new roof on our house, after weeks of trying to get the contractors to do what they said they were gonna do, to SHOW UP when they said they were gonna show up. I have VERY LITTLE TO ZERO patience for people who don't follow through on what they say they'll do. It's probably my biggest pet peeve. Anyway, the roof is finally finished, and today is the first day that our lives will be somewhat back to normal. The dumpster is still in our driveway, which means we don't have access to our garage when it's been snowing and sleeting lately. Not good. But the dogs can stay home today and sleep to their little hearts' content.

If you're looking to have a roof replaced in the Central Illinois area, don't use Messing. They'll sell you with their great customer service up front, but once they get their down payment and the loan papers signed, you're pretty much on your own to figure out when they'll show up.

Grrrr. Amy pissed.

Friends tell me that this is typical of contractors. I once wrote about my mother's inability to understand that whenever she showed up 20 minutes early for a doctor's appointment, that meant she'd be waiting AT LEAST 40 minutes to actually get into the exam room. Now I feel like I've become that person, except the context is home contractors. My limited experience, though, has taught me pretty quickly not to believe much of what they say.

Gotta go warm up my car now. Grrrr.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy:

We had a terrible time with contractors when we lived in CT. Our problem was this: we would call a few places for estimates, and they either never called us back, or left messages at weird times when we weren't home, and then we could never reach them again. My mistake was declaring our needs as mostly "small jobs" to do, which they didn't feel like bothering with. I had a particularly bad experience with one of those dump run guys and a basketball hoop removal (very common service in the Northeast). Many contractors were only reachable/available if you "knew somebody" (yes, just like the Sopranos; Vinny the Taper from North Haven, I'm talking ta *you*).

But I'm happy to say that here in the South (which is a truly great place to live, for all of you who are wondering), I have had zero problems with carpet cleaners, electricians, lawn care, you name it. Amen to manners, I guess.

Kelly

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this is a lesson you can impart to your students along the way. I find the current generation of people I am forced to interact with are totally devoid of any concept of courtesy. Case in point the nurse at the doctor's office who failed to fax the request for tests to the lab--fasting tests. We showed up at the lab early and waited in line with others in the cold. No paperwork. When I stopped by the doctor's office later in the day, the nurse didn't even apologize, let alone blame the machine, or the lab. He just stood there without any facial expression whatsoever, as if it were my problem.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home