Wednesday, October 29, 2008

definition of a true friend

I'm talking the other day with the Wonka about how much I hate the thought of being the center of attention at the wedding next Saturday (next Saturday!). I hate all of the expectations that come with it, even if my friends really don't expect me to play the role of "bride," I've internalized--we all have--those expectations and they make me sick.

Julie Wonka is the friend who, when I told her that I wouldn't mind going to look at dresses if it weren't for the goddamn people who work in these places with all that emotional labor they're paid to do, told me she'd be my buffer, and she wouldn't let them near me unless it was to bring me a dress in another size or something. Save the bullshit for other customers.

So when I was talking with her about my issues with being the center of attention and such, she said, and I quote, "Do you want us to look away?"

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Rebecca Moore Howard said...

I am sooo glad Wonka will be there with you. So will I, in spirit. I hate that it won't be in person, even though I wouldn't be allowed to look at you.
Love.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I splurged on a nice long dress which cost more than any dress I'd ever owned. We decided to get married on a Monday--only your friends will take off work for your wedding. Neither of us had family around, so we walked down the aisle together, hand in hand. That was nearly 40 years ago. We did it OUR WAY.

It's YOUR DAY, do it how you feel comfortable about doing it. Who cares if someone doesn't like it.

It's the one time you don't have to be polite or please anyone else.

Will be with you in spirit. I've been reading you since way back when and you were despairing you'd ever meet anyone and this day would ever happen! Glad it did. Have fun. It's a celebration and the first of many more to come. Be aware that the time goes faster when there are two of you!

Love to you both,

shoe

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on your wedding day. it is here, and i'm happy for you both (and the pups). may you enjoy many more happy days together. yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home