Wednesday, January 11, 2006

why I need a shrink

My alarm goes off at 7:30 this morning as it has all week. The plan is to get to the coffee shop by 9:00 to work for three hours. But I'm OH SO TIRED and my bed is OH SO COMFY and the weather, well, we already know about the weather, it's DEADLY.

So I turn the alarm off and decide, shit, I'm on break, I should get to sleep in if I feel like and if my body needs it (rationalizing already). So I get all comfy again and think about all the terrible repercussions of not working on the book today. Here's what goes through my mind as I'm trying to enjoy sleeping in:

I'm never gonna get the damn book done if I let myself sleep in like this. It's just one day. But every day matters you're always telling grad students that they have to write everyday on a really big project like this and you know from experience that it really does have to be everyday. I'm on vacation. But the book's not going to write itself and you know you're not going to get any work done at home that begins at 10:30 even if Scrabble isn't on your computer. But I'm oh so comfy. You're never gonna finish the book, you're never gonna get tenure, you're gonna lose your job, you're gonna end up living in a cardboard box on the street and Belly will starve. It may seem like just one day but just one day turns into just two days turns into just a week and then you're screwed. Sleep well.

And I'm really not exaggerating. I wish I were, but it ain't pretty inside this head, folks. Not pretty at all.

2 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jack said...

11:35 am, sun is out...I can see if from my office window, sniff. If you and Belly end up in a box, you can come live and my place...the offer stands for the next few months and then who knows Lucky and I may be in the box next door.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

Belly says thanks, but only if there's rawhide involved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home