Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hillary, my oldest friend in the world, she kills me sometimes

Talking to Hillary tonight and she said something about Jokkmokk, so I knew she'd read my earlier post today. Then she said something about how all I was writing about lately was Clara and I said, I thought you read today's post. Didn't you like the thing about Belly's collar? That has nothing to do with Clara.

H: I didn't like that part. You sounded like a snob.

Me, flabbergasted: A snob?

H: I felt bad for the dog, that you were calling him the ugliest dog in the world and you didn't want Belly to be anything like him.

Me: Do you want your dogs to be like the ugliest dog in the world?

I gotta tell you, people, this really did have me flabbergasted because Hillary does not participate in conversations about dogs, let alone dog collars. So we talked about other things during the phone call but I kept coming back to this idea that she now thinks I'm a snob.

H: It's like you think you're better than other people.

Me: No, I think my dog is better than the ugliest dog in the world. She's the precious booda bugger.

Off on other topics for a few minutes...

I bring it up one more time and FINALLY, we get to the real issue (I should really be a psychologist):

H: All of a sudden I felt like the ugliest dog in the world.

Me, howling: So, it's not about the dog at all.

H: Just you be quiet.

3 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I'm with Hillary. Be kind to the ugly dogs, okay? Now, if you saw the collar, and it made you realize how unflattering it was, that's another thing. (Oh, wait, I'm talking about my own insecurities again, aren't I?)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Alright everybody, alright. I will put my testimony down on the line...I've gotta go with Amy on this one...this truly WAS the ugliest dog in the world, ever in life. He brought shame to the lime green collar. Belly being the fashionista she is had no choice but to switch. She still let him play...ugly as he was...Belly could have kicked him out of the park, but she rules with kindness.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COULDA KICKED HIM OUTTA THE PARK? For being ugly? I'm glad I didn't go to high school with you. Who knows what you are capable of...and thank you to comment #1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home