Wednesday, March 08, 2006

in which we drive our pottery teacher nuts

On Sunday afternoon Julie and I drove up to Lexington for yet another lovely Sunday afternoon painting pottery at Christy's house. I love these times because we get to be creative and we get to gossip and catch up and when we're not quite sure just which color to use, Christy's there to help us. Sunday was no exception.

Julie's first job was to finish a bowl she'd begun the time before. And even though Christy has told us time and time again (I can just hear my mother saying, "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times!) to write down the colors we use and how many coats, Julie hadn't done so.

Julie: But I don't know how many coats I've done.

Christy: You're gonna have to do another coat.

And then, in her best teacher voice for kindergardeners, Christy says: I know it's more work, but...

And Julie and I both howl.

Me: Christy, can you help me draw a lightning bolt?

She comes over and tries.

C: I'm no good at drawing things. Sorry.

Me: What if I decided to write out "Skit Skat?" Will you help me?

Julie rolls her eyes and makes a Wonka face.

Later I'm working on a tray and I've decided to do a very intricate pattern that deep down I know will look horrible, but isn't it best to try?

Julie: I think it's best that we all come to terms with our own limitations.

Jesus.

I draw a flower pattern instead and it is god. awful. I paint one coat of light scarlet over the entire thing. And still I'm not happy.

Me: Um, could we wash this off?

And by we, my friends, I mean Christy. And she obliges.

As we're leaving, Chris, Christy's husband, tells us he's going to go grocery shopping so that Christy can have some alone painting time. I can't imagine why she'd need such a thing. Huh.

3 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jack said...

so we're a no go on the lightning bolt?

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

Oh, there's a lightning bolt, my dear. I drew it all by MYSELF.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

She's SOOOOOPer Potterrrrr!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home