Tuesday, March 07, 2006

when a stranger's death affects me

I turned on my computer this morning at school to find out that Dana Reeve has died only seven months after she announced that she had lung cancer. This just makes me so sad. Her son is only 13. An orphan. Two parents dead in the space of two years.

Of course there's the part of me that feels like Reeve's death will be used to bring more attention to nonsmokers who die of lung cancer, and that's a good thing. Maybe part of what makes me so sad about this is that I've bought into the belief system that says that lung cancer is a preventable disease: quit smoking. Or that those who smoke like chimneys for years and years and then end up with lung cancer somehow deserve it. Nobody deserves cancer, but that logic--the logic that lung cancer in smokers is theoretically preventable--is sometimes hard to counter, no matter how hard we try to look for technicalities in the arguments. I say this because I've been following Bloomington-Normal's public debates about the smoking ban in restaurants. And bar owners have used the teensiest technicalities to argue that there isn't a direct causal link between second-hand smoke and health problems.

But mostly I'm just sad. I'm struck by disbelief in some ways. Lung cancer kills so goddamn fast. August 2005. March 2006. Rest in peace.

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Me, too. The idea that their son has lost two parents, so quickly, and at such a young age. It makes me think of the interview I heard the other day with Octavia Butler (Fresh Air was replying an old one), and her character in Parable of the Sower who is nearly disabled by hyperempathy, though it's really a delusion. Why do we feel such pain for others? Ultimately, isn't it really about our own pain, our own fears?

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger aerobil said...

Of course it is. My fear of being alone. Abandoned. Struck with cancer and dead in six months.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger aerobil said...

Of course it is. My fear of being alone. Abandoned. Struck with cancer and dead in six months.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what bothers me most about her death is that tragedy has already become her life involuntarily...as cancer has. Too much suffering for one family.

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle's dad died less than 3 weeks after he was diagnosed with lung cancer. It was so sad how fast he went downhill.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger C-mo said...

In case it would help any of your readers, here's a link to a story on lung cancer and radon ... http://northridgebuzz.blogspot.com/2006/03/lung-cancer-simple-test-can-save-your.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home