Wednesday, February 22, 2006

my favorite part of the whole affair

The nurse comes at me with a green marker, asks me to show her the spot on my abdomen that the doctor will be working on, draws a green circle around it, and asks me to initial it. Now that's a literacy act that could use some analysis.

By signing your own flesh, you hereby acknowledge that you are granting the doctor permission to cut into you on that spot and not on another.

By signing your own flesh, you hereby promise not to sue the doctor or the hospital for cutting into your flesh on that spot and not another.

By signing your own flesh, you hereby recognize the need to shower sometime in the near future. Else you will forever be stained green.

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Back when I had knee surgury, they made me wear a sock on the foot of the leg that did NOT need surgury. I'd have felt more comfortable with a marker of any color. Mikey

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I think I'd want to write a detailed note. "Dear Doctors and Nurses, Thanks in advance for the fine care you are about to give this (see arrows) particular part of my body. I trust that you will all recall your Hippocratic oath as well as your excellent training at a US medical institute of high repute. Please note that physicians who had to be rescued from a second-rate Grenadian institution are not allowed to do any invasive procedures in or around my person. Thanks again, Moi."

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took your advice and read your blog -- you are funny!:) When I had my knee surgeries, I had to draw a smiling face on the knee they were to cut. I told them I didn't think my knee was too happy about them cutting into it, but I guess that didn't matter. And then I got into the operating room, and they had me start counting down from 100. I got to 96, and the last thing I hear is "Hey, cool tattoo" -- now, said tattoo is on the WRONG LEG up on my thigh. I remember screaming in my head -- "wrong f-ing leg, people, wrong f-ing leg!" I woke up crying, mumbling about the wrong leg. Talk about trauma. Good riddance to Clara -- no love lost, I am sure. Hope you feel better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home