Tuesday, February 21, 2006

teaching always makes me feel better

Sunday and Monday I was depressed, let's just say. There was a semester during grad school when I was doing admin work and so didn't have to teach. It was also during that semester that I came closest to jumping off a cliff--that is, post- antidepressants.

My generalization doesn't exactly work, though, because in the summers I haven't ever searched the internet for the gun laws in my state. But after every break--summer and winter--I'm always more than ready to get back to the classroom.

I do feel better today. My students help me see things differently. They're so smart and so trusting and so good. While I can understand teachers becoming frustrated with individual students, I'll never understand why teachers so often complain about this group of people called "students."

Teaching is the way I learn the most. I'd be one dumb cookie if I weren't responsible for teaching this stuff.

I do feel better. Today's teaching was good.

3 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I even had students stop by during my office hours today--yea! And as he turned in his essay exam, a student actually said this was a really interesting topic that he had, in fact, been discussing in another class. And my Saturday morning workshop (solely devoted to passing a required exam they all resent) actually says they have a good time. On Saturday mornings!

Such a nice contrast with the individual struggle to Produce. Yikes.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

Teaching is one of my drugs of choice. Glad to meet a fellow addict.

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss teaching so much. I'm not teaching right now, and it's ugly. I never would have thought of myself as a social beast, but I totally crave it. And you're so right that it's hands down the fastest, most durable, most compelling way to learn. And funny. It can be damn funny, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home