Thursday, March 30, 2006

a perfect epigraph for a future essay

Again from Cheryl Strayed's "The Love of My Life":
In fact, in their deaths I felt more deeply connected to them, not because I grieved for them, but because I wanted to attach myself to what is interesting. It is interesting to be in a Chinese restaurant and see a poster of the smiling face of an acquaintance, who is one hell of a painter, plastered on the front door. It is interesting to be able to say, I know him, to feel a part of something important and awful and big. The more connections like this we have, the more interesting we are.
We all know this feeling. This is the first time I've seen it in print. As I told my class this morning, this is the most dangerous implicating of the reader in the entire essay. I just want to curl up and sleep with this essay, to own it, to be it, to possess it somehow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home