Sunday, March 26, 2006

CCCCChicago

Number of times I read some form of the word "bullshit" to my audience: 45

Number of ideas I walked away from the Fitzgerald/Fountain/Wharton panel with: 6

Number of future articles I could title right now: 3

Percentage of those future articles I plan to finish by the end of the summer: 33

Number of articles I must publish before I come back to the work of the book: 2

Number of panels I attended on Thursday: 1

Percentage of papers on that panel that included something I didn't already know: 33

Number of panels I attended on Friday: 4

Percentage of papers on those panels that included something I didn't already know: 100

Rating, on a scale of 1 to 10, that I would give to Deborah Tannen's talk before seeing Patricia Williams' talk: 7

Rating, on a scale of 1 to 10, that I would give to Patricia William's talk: 10

Rating, on a scale of 1 to 10, that I'd give Tannen after seeing Williams: 3

Keyword for next year's proposal: shame

Winner of the 2006 Ross Winterowd award for best book: Julie Wonka Jung

Percentage of my readers who should read Curtis White's essay in this month's Harper's Magazine: 100 (I'm proud proud proud to be White's colleague)

Number of years it seems to have taken to be able to call Bloomington-Normal home: 1.5

Biggest realization of the entire conference: The work I do is mostly for me, which is to say that if I don't really really love what I'm working on, I shouldn't bother doing it.

Number of people I actually recognized when I walked into the bar for the Syracuse gathering on Friday evening: 2

Percentage of those people I wanted to talk to: 100

Percentage of those people I talked to: 50

Number of times I thought about or missed my blog: at least 4

Number of times I'd actually talked to a publisher before Saturday: 0

Percentage of the time I was gone that Belly was utterly depressed: 100

Hours Annabelle spent snuggling Uncle Paul last night and this morning: 8

Number of days until the proposal for next year's panel is due: 40

3 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger senioritis said...

Uncle Paul is a lucky lucky man to be the recipient of so much Grade A Doggie Snuggling.

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of all that I missed by not being at Cs this year, Patricia Williams' talk was the thing I'm most sorry to have missed. I hope someone will offer a summary, or details, or tell me it's available some way, some how.

Working on that proposal for next year. I'll hope to see you in NYC.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a lucky Uncle! It was such a nice way to end an amazing week. Absence does make doggies grow fonder--and humans, too. Thanks A & A for being the hostesses with the mostest(es)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home