Thursday, April 27, 2006

gakking a meme

From tuba player from senioritis from Tamika.

20 years ago I

1. was 13 years old and had not yet kissed a boy.
2. thought I'd be a famous writer when I grew up.
3. hated hated hated my home life and just wanted to have a "normal" family.

10 years ago I

1. was working for Better Communications, Inc., in Lexington, Massachusetts as an executive assistant for $27,000 a year.
2. bought my first new car, a 1995 Geo Prizm, which, I'm happy to report, I'm still driving.
3. spent many evenings babysitting for my boss's grandchildren, a precocious 3-year-old named Lily who often drove me nuts and a sweet sweet baby named Carter who almost made up for Lily.

5 years ago I

1. finished my first year of the PhD program at Syracuse.
2. was dating Al.
3. didn't know it, but Annabelle was born in July.

3 years ago I

1. had completed exams and found myself in a severe depression.
2. turned the big 3-0, the age that I had all my life convinced myself I'd never make it to.
3. had my first College English article accepted and published: "It's Time For Class: Toward a More Complex Pedagogy of Narrative."

1 year ago I

1. finished my first year as Assistant Professor at Illinois State.
2. began the long and arduous process of growing up, which means dealing with things I'd rather not deal with.
3. was wondering if I'd ever again kiss a boy.

So far this year I

1. have taught two wonderfully rewarding undergraduate courses that I'll miss dearly after next week.
2. am playing softball!
3. have developed important and enduring friendships with the regulars at the dog park.

Yesterday I

1. slept in.
2. baked banana apple bread from scratch.
3. had a date and learned what a schooner of beer is.

Today I

1. had a bit of a headache from those schooners of beer.
2. had lunch with the dean and several other faculty from the college.
3. bought three more bags of parmesan goldfish despite swearing that I wouldn't buy them anymore.

Tomorrow I

1. will see my therapist.
2. will meet with grad students who are working on The Violence of Class collection.
3. will come home and watch Conviction with a bag of goldfish and a big black beast.

In the next year I

1. will send off the article I'm currently working on (deadline: end of July)
2. will celebrate Annabelle's 5th birthday at the park with hats and treats and lots of laughs.
3. will visit Virginia, Florida, and Massachusetts.

2 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

Luckily for you, after you eat that bag of goldfish, the big black beast will be on hand to clean your teeth for you.`

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Jack said...

I like this one, I'm going to yank it from you. FYI, parmesan goldfish taste excellent when mixed with the pretzel kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home