Thursday, April 19, 2007

mid-day phone call

Hello, Professor Robillard?

Yes.

My name is Jane Doe and I'm calling from Channel X news. I'm wondering if you have time to talk with us this afternoon about, you know, the shootings? And about English and writing?

I'd rather not.

I shit you not. She actually said "you know, the shootings?" Julie Wonka was in my office during this and was laughing at the frozen look of incredulity on my face: mouth hanging open, shaking my head in disgust.

Wonka: My mom called last night and told me not to fail any students.

Jeebus.

3 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would think it should be interesting to see who purrs "Oh, yes."

shoe

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Part of me wants to feel bad for this poor reporter, who proably said "you know" because she really doesn't know how to say this, and probably was instructed by her supervisor to get these interviews.

But the bigger part of me (no, not my butt) says, "Yeesh. How does this help *any* of us understand this better? And isn't there plenty of published stuff on disclosure and student writing? C'mon, people!"

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering how she got your name. Do they just do a search of the college web page? Or??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home