Tuesday, May 15, 2007

the boy's getting good at Scrabble

Last night HE asked ME if I wanted to play a game of Scrabble. Why yes, my love, I'd love to. Just let me pick my jaw up off the floor and I'll be right there.

He's getting so good that he's even begun pouting (he calls it sulking, though I fail to see the difference) when I take the spot he'd been planning on using. He knows the S-rule very well: never use it unless it gets you an extra 8 points. And he's become quite adept at making two or more words at once.

On Sunday night, he put down the word "wed" for many points--it created other two letter words in its wake. In my next turn, I put the word "clean" on top of it, with the A over "wed" and the N over the E. So I made three words: clean, awed, and ne.

S., many minutes after the turn, finally sees what I've done and says, "a-wed" is a word?

Me: Awed, honey. I've been awed with you since we met.

Happens all the time of course. Made me think of the time Hillary got all high on her horse about "his"--prouncing it as a plural "hi" and snarking about it.

He won Sunday, I won Monday. Getting him to suggest a game of Scrabble though is completely my win. He's addicted and there ain't nuttin' he can do about it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Sometimes words just look weird when you see 'em on the board. Like, they've lost all context and they're just a bunch of letters. Let's call it The Scrabble Effect. Kinda like the 10-year-old's say it over and over and over til it's not a word anymore effect.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, I think you use the word "addicted" too loosely. I like Scrabble, but I would hardly say that I'm addicted to it. Now "Dark Tower" is another story, but no one wants to play it with me.

S.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like S.'s comment since the next blog entry begins with "S. is addicted to Ebay"
So since S. is doing the Scrabble thing when are you going to see Star Wars?

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger aerobil said...

I promise to watch it on a rainy evening this summer. Really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home