Monday, February 11, 2008

my obsessions of late

what cannot be measured

what therefore cannot be compared

what therefore cannot be commodified

what therefore cannot be bought and sold

and so, unfortunately, what often cannot be named

This is to say that I'm thoroughly entrenched in the ideas at the heart of my book, and the deeper I go, the more I realize I've been circling around these ideas for a long time. Hovering over them. Picking at them. Many times having a hard time articulating them. Then I realize that that's part of the very thing I'm dealing with: the ineffable. The ineffable as opposed to the marketable.

How can we find a language for value that doesn't a) resort to market value; b) come off as moralizing or holier-than-thou; or c) sound completely hokey and old-fashioned and therefore easily dismissed?

That, dear readers, is the question. The one preoccupying me at the moment.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I love the word "ineffable." The root, of course, is "to eff," and can be turned into the all-purpose gerund "effing." Very handy.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

There's a town in Illinois called Effingham. Beauteous.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is one sly, wry definition!

I was going to say that love cannot be measured or compared, but then I realized that unfortunately it can be commodified.

shoe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home