Sunday, November 20, 2005

Capote and Grizzly Man

I saw Capote in Champaign last night. Excellent flick. A few very jumpy moments. Philip Seymour Hoffman: very good. The movie made me want to immediately go out and get a copy of In Cold Blood, which I haven't read since college. At Barnes & Noble, the book was $14. I think not. I'll get a copy at a used book store, thank you very much.

But the real exciting moment last night was the preview for Grizzly Man, the story of Timothy Treadwell, the man who was killed by the grizzly bears he lived among and loved. The bears! I know that it's unethical to portray them as soft, cuddly creatures, but I know from reading reviews that Treadwell believed in their innocence, which means that the footage will portray them this way too. It's a remarkable story, and I'm so excited to see it. Opening night, people. Opening night I'll be there.

From IMBD:
It is fair to say that Treadwell was eccentric and delusional. Treadwell imagined himself as a champion and protector of the grizzlies, when in reality they were in little danger. He saw in his beloved grizzlies an idealised world of love and harmony. All the love and beauty that Treadwell thought was missing from civilisation he projected onto the bears. He was naive and delusional in that he failed to acknowledge the brutality and misery that are constants in our world.
But you just watch: it won't be here in Bloomington. I'm sure I'll have to go to Champaign again to see it. Grrrrrrrr.

9 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Michael Lasley said...

PSH is one of my favorite actors. I see whatever he's in even if I'm not terribly interested in the movie. I can't remember being let down. And In Cold Blood was one of the first books I read without being made to read. It was chilling. It's one of the few books I've read that I plan to reread.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I'm with Mr. L--PSH is an amazing actor. I enjoyed him in Flawless, which is a horrible movie, and in Love Liza, which is an excellent but serious downer of a movie. His character is a major car wreck , and you just keep thinking, or more hoping, that things will get slightly better.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Love Liza is one of the more disturbing movies I've ever seen. For a bunch of reasons, but the addiction to sniffin' gasoline. It made me sick to my stomach watching it. I think he may have written that movie -- or his brother wrote it. Or maybe he directed it -- or his brother directed it. Something along those lines.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger aerobil said...

what I love about you, Mikey, is your conciseness. tee hee

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just watched Love Liza. I had to get up and leave the room a few times, though, because it was so intense. I adore PSH -- his bit role in The Talented Mr. Ripley makes me laugh.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger aerobil said...

People, I HATED Love Liza. I didn't get more than a half hour into it. And this matters because, well, it's my blog.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

I think Ms J and I kept watching LL because we kept hoping things would get better. We'd say, five more minutes, it's got to get better. Painful.

What about PSH in Cold Mountain?? Fabulous!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Michael Lasley said...

I never watched Cold Mountain (didn't even know PSH was in it). I HATED the book. Probably the worst book I ever read all the way through (I should have stopped, but peer pressure and whatnot -- everyone seemed to be reading and loving it, so I just wanted to find out what the big deal was). And the previews to the movie didn't make me want to watch it just because the southern accents were so terrible. Yes, I'm an elistist when it comes to southern accents.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger susansinclair said...

Okay, so just imagine PSH as a hypocritcal southern preacher who's tarred and feathered and run out of town for fooling around with a parisioner. He's whiny and officious and a total coward. Fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home